I was doing so well for a bit.  I was blogging again, not about anything earth shattering but just getting into the habit again.  After writing about the perils of traveling for my long-awaited vacation, I got sick.  So for half of the trip I just felt crummy.  I got home and thankfully had another day of vacation because, far from feeling better, I felt worse.

I went back to work.  Made it through one day. I had dinner at work the next night to celebrate the nine-year-old’s birthday.  During dinner my employers mention I sounded awful…like something else was going on.  I promptly made an online appointment for the next morning at my local TakeCareClinic.

The next morning I sat hacking away, trying to explain how long I had felt crummy.  I got a diagnosis.  I had pneumonia AND bronchitis.  I don’t mess around when I get sick.  I left with antibiotics, an inhaler, prescription strength cough syrup and some over the counter stuff for good measure. There’s nothing like finding out what you have to really make you feel awful!  I just gave in to it.

My giving in consisted of a quick stop at the store for some essentials and driving home.  Neither my car or I moved for the next three full days.  I slept, and slept and slept.  One day I slept about 18 hours.  In between I coughed and hacked and coughed.  About Saturday night I felt like the antibiotics had finally kicked in.

But I missed a trip I’d been planning to see family in Grand Rapids.  That made me feel worse.  The folks at TakeCareClinic told me it could be up to a month before I felt human.  Everyone I’ve talked to used the term ‘beast’, as in “pneumonia is a beast.”  I have found that to be true.  I consider that my Dad and multiple bouts of pneumonia in his last year of life.  Now I understand what it meant for him to come back from that.

So my life, these last three weeks, has been go to work, come home, hold the cat and go to bed…early.  Then get up and do it all again.  Last weekend I had an early dinner with a friend.  The next morning I had a hair appointment.  When I came home I felt like a nap.  Four hours later I woke up.  It is hard to let this stuff dictate my life but so it has.  I long to feel that both the weather and I have turned a corner.  Bring it on!!

I feel like everyday gets a bit better.  Less coughing and less a need to go to bed at 7pm.  Sometimes I hang in there all the way to 8 or 9pm.  What a life.

So hopefully I’ll be back to this blog and back to a more normal life.  Fingers crossed.